Orrainpolku Trail takes you to an isthmus between Lake Kuolimo and Lake Saimaa. The landscape is varied, ranging from pine forests to lush mixed forests. The trail also presents mires, in addition to small ponds and the shores of Lake Kuolimo. The highlight is the magnificent Luotolahdenvuori Hill with a demanding ascent but the climbing will be rewarded with great views out over Lake Kuolimo. The trail is best suitable for trekking during the snow-free season. The total length is about 10 km.
There are two lean-to shelters along the trail. The Onkilampi lean-to shelter is also accessible from Partakoskentie Road. The Onkilampi lean-to shelter is suitable for families with children and for the disabled. The Luotolahdenkapia lean-to shelter is located on the shore of Lake Kuolimo. The lean-to shelters can also be accessed in winter by snowshoes.
- Luotolahti Hill
- Clear Lake Kuolimo
- Numerous wilderness lakes
It is safest to move in a group if you do not know the terrain or the water area.
In wet weather and in winter, duckboards, rocks and piers can be slippery.
During the snowy season, the trails and routes are not maintained.
In an emergency, dial the number 112. Report your location, what has happened and listen to the instructions.
Orrainpolku Trail travels through varying terrain along paths and forest roads, with duckboards over wet terrain. The sides of Luotolahti Hill are steep both going up and going down. Stony places with tree roots hinder the rise and descent. There is much elevation along the trail, but there are only a few steep places (>35%). There are clear signs and markings to help hikers.
The start of the trail and the lean-tos have good information boards on the trail. There are signposts along the trail, and it is marked clearly with red markings. The signs and markings are clear throughout the trail.
The trail is ideal for those looking for a challenging trail. However, there are only a few very steep rises and descents
Tips and hints-
Getting thereFrom Savitaipale Church, take road no. 409 in the direction of Partakoski. Drive past Kärnäkoski and Partakoski for about 5 km until you turn left at the 'Orrain nature trail'. The starting point of the trail and the parking area are right next to the road. Address: Partakoskentie 1520, Savitaipale.
ParkingCars can be parked at the starting point of the trail, address Partakoskentie 1520, Savitaipale.
EquipmentBefore the excursion, it is advisable to acquire the necessary maps and guides and check the weather forecast, particularly when going boating. Wear sturdy footwear and clothes that suit the weather. It is recommended that you take first aid equipment, rainwear, a spare set of clothes, as well as enough drinks with you, particularly in the summer.
Basic Equipment for Long-Distance Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Tent (3- or 4-season)
- Stove (including fuel and utensils)
- Sleeping mat. Sleeping bag with suitable temperature rating.
- Toiletries and medication
- Toilet paper
Things to Bring if Staying in a Mountain Hut
- Toiletries and medication
- Quick-drying towel
- Ear plugs
- Sleeping bag liner
- Alpine club membership card if applicable / ID
- Coronavirus mask and hand sanitizer
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.